Have you guys tried shakshuka yet? The first time I had it was with my sister Michele at an adorable little cafe in Los Angeles. I immediately knew I had to try making it at home, and now it’s one of our go-to weekend brunch items.
Eating shakshuka feels a little fancy. Maybe it’s the name. Shakshuka!
Shakshuka is also super healthy, and I like to add peas to make sure I hit my recommended daily servings of green veggies.
Most shakshuka recipes direct you to make sauce from scratch, which can take a lot of time. My recipe for shakshuka comes together quickly thanks to this Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant & Garlic. Perfect for when you want a delicious meal, but don’t want to spend all morning in the kitchen.
Quick, healthy, and faux-fancy. What’s not to love?
Quick Shakshuka with Red Pepper, Peas, and Feta
Makes 2 servings
1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Spread with Eggplant & Garlic
1/2 of a 15oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons basil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
bread for serving, such as pita, naan or whole wheat tortillas
Optional: smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat a large, oven-safe pan over medium-high heat on the stove. Add tomatoes, red pepper spread, basil, and vinegar to pan and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Add frozen peas to pan and stir well.
4. Once the mixture is hot and bubbling, turn off the stove and use a spoon to create four wells in the sauce. Crack the eggs into a cup, and gently pour one egg into each well. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer pan to preheated oven. Bake until whites are set but yolks jiggle, about 1o minutes (if you prefer set yolks, cook 3 minutes longer).
6. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with feta and season with smoked paprika (optional), and serve immediately with bread.